• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Discuss artists other than Furthur. Discuss and share music you make.
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

Re: Show Your Hometown's "Samson"

#237234 1 year, 8 months ago
The Spectrum was special. I saw the last GD related show there when "The Dead" played there before they tore the old building down. They had the banner hanging up showing the number of GD concerts at the Spectrum, we were looking at it and talking about it during set break. I wanted to take a photo of it. When the lights came on after the show, the banner was gone. Bobby and Mickey spoke a little after the show and Bobby was choked up. Think about the hours he spent "inside the Coliseum...."

Every venue is different. MSG is/was, well, Madison Square Garden, MSG, the Big Apple, a great urban venue for the GD, my personal favorite hockey rink that I saw the band in.

Both venues were really special for the Grateful Dead, so many magical moments happened in each.

Speaking of Philly, how about JFK Stadium?
These are the good old days!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cub, kevin
BillyDeLion
Junior Boarder

#237235 1 year, 8 months ago
I assume the thread was meant as venues that no longer exist. My hometown's Samson was The Long Island Arena, also known as The Suffolk Forum and the Commack Arena.

LIArena.jpg

This was on old hockey rink, there were many legendary concerts here, including parts of the classic Frampton Comes Alive record. John F Kennedy campaigned at this venue before his Presidential election. I saw a bunch of shows there, but missed JGB with Hunter opening, and I also missed Hot Tuna and Jorma solo. These Tuna/ Jorma shows are legendary, some of the shows ended with the sunrise. Shows I saw there that I recall: Robin Trower with Monstrose opening, Blue Oyster Cult, The Outlaws, Ritchie Blackmore, J Giels before they were total pop crap. It was a flea market for many years folliowing it's concert days. Paging Scarlet-Fire: do you remember this place??

Cool article on The Jerry Site about the 78 JGB concert:
www.thejerrysite.com/shows/show/1354

Interesting article on the venue:
basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/NewJerseyNets/oldindex.htm][/url
[url=basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/NewJerseyNets/oldindex.htm][/url]

Article from the local rag newspaper about the venue:
www.newsday.com/columnists/other-columni...y-be-next-1.1468746][/url
[url=www.newsday.com/columnists/other-columni...y-be-next-1.1468746][/url]

The other "Samson" venues I could talk about are The Calderone Concert Hall in Hempstead NY, The Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ, The Palladium (aka Academy of Music) NYC, and My Father's Place in Roslyn NY. Not enough time, gotta go to work now... Keep your Dayjob till your nightjob pays.....
These are the good old days!!
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by BillyDeLion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cub
Cub
Senior Boarder

#237243 1 year, 8 months ago
Thanks for the great pics and links of your hometown's concert venues.

I am an extremely Junior border with limited experience on starting posting's & I appreciate the response.

Cub
killwhyT
Senior Boarder

Re: St. Louis's Hometown's "Samson"

#237250 1 year, 8 months ago
skidoo wrote:
exhibition stadium. home to some lacklustre Grey Cups, snowy Opening Days....not to mention some bad baseball. the GD gig was before my time, but still some ripple effects (Senator David A. Croll apartments which used to be the home of the fabled & doomed Rochedale "experimental" College).

I saw a ton of shows there: The Who (1990) camped out with a few thousands maniacs for tix to that show and some guys broke into the stadium stealing home plate right out of the ground walking around holding it under his jacket, The Cult with an unknow opening band called GnR (1987), David Bowie (1990), Pink Floyd (1987) etc
The following user(s) said Thank You: skidoo, Cub
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#237259 1 year, 8 months ago
McNichols in all her glory!

mcnichols.jpg

Cool pic of both McNichols and the old Mile High Stadium

mcniholsmilehigh.jpg
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
skidoo
Gold Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#237289 1 year, 8 months ago
killwhyT wrote:
skidoo wrote:
exhibition stadium. home to some lacklustre Grey Cups, snowy Opening Days....not to mention some bad baseball. the GD gig was before my time, but still some ripple effects (Senator David A. Croll apartments which used to be the home of the fabled & doomed Rochedale "experimental" College).

I saw a ton of shows there: The Who (1990) camped out with a few thousands maniacs for tix to that show and some guys broke into the stadium stealing home plate right out of the ground walking around holding it under his jacket, The Cult with an unknow opening band called GnR (1987), David Bowie (1990), Pink Floyd (1987) etc

yeah me too. several Police Picnics, The Boss etc. the first show i saw there was the Stampeders, got free tickets in elementary school along with free admission to the "Ex".
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#237318 1 year, 8 months ago
old-boston-garden.jpg

Cub wrote:
Oh I agree do agree Furthur Flower that your St. Louis FOX Theater is hands - down an incredible stage to be on. if Furthur ever does a tour or isolated incident that includes your cities Fox treasure, then that is the one show I'll budget for. (This Phillies never been to Cardinal town) But when Furthur did play Nov. 11. 2011 and I saw the pics that Dylan Carney posted before the show on this forum, I did a spontaneous pre-order of that shows disc from the band. I just knew that the sound from that venue would pass muster.
(It CRUSHED at our post-tour paddy that weekend)

link for venue pics > > >
www.furthur.net/tours?task=details&gigcal_gigs_id=120

To answer your question my topic is referring to any city that had a terrific concert venue... now torn down and the meaning that Heads have attached to these lyrics from Samson and Delilah

If I had my way
If I had my way
If I had my way
I would tear this whole building down

Any band who left a memorable show on these stage's : J.F.K.Stadium , The Spectrum, & Civic Center venues. We miss them and can not afford a show at the bank-sponsored single venue which replaced them with no leg-room and no parking.

Phil n Bobby had some kind words to say about The Spectrum after "The Dead" encored with "Samson" May 2010 (I think). That was the last concert tour to ever go through the Spectrum and Philly-Dead Heads delivered that energy. Phil spoke about the building+ the fans +energy flow from heads being so close to the stage. We spent dozens of spectrums concerts and GD shows in section "O" behind the stage.. Charlotte NC has a Samson too. The original Coliseum was similar in tightness of seats to the ice. Energy was fun, security clueless. Gone but Not Forgotten.

I got my mail order tix for the Boston Garden Fall 95 a few days before Jerry passed on. All 3 had "we're gonna tear this ol' building down". stamped as those shows were supposed to be the last event before they tore it down to build the Fleet Center.

The Boston Garden was EPIC although I'm not a chowder head either.
-- smell every flower --
Last Edit: 1 year, 8 months ago by kevin.
Cub
Senior Boarder

Re: Boston Garden "Samson" stamp

#237360 1 year, 8 months ago
Kevin,
So you actually got your mail order tickets for those canceled Fall '95 tour. And they had Samson lyrics stamped on the ticket. That is too cool for school.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#237384 1 year, 8 months ago
Cool thread Cub!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#237393 1 year, 8 months ago
Cub wrote:
Kevin,
So you actually got your mail order tickets for those canceled Fall '95 tour. And they had Samson lyrics stamped on the ticket. That is too cool for school.

Yeah, I gave one to a fellow head I worked with for a memento and still have the other 2 laminated and tucked away. I literally got the tickets within a couple days previous of 8-9-95.

I thought they fit your post pretty well
-- smell every flower --
Time to create page: 6.51 seconds