• You are here
DeadHead420
Platinum Boarder
More negative karma please =-)

Re: Question for the vets!!!

#39273 3 years, 2 months ago
Miracles by definition cannot be expected, but only wished for. Do ya know how to do any crafts of any sort, so that ya could sell stuff to fund your tour?? I dont really know how to do much, but i taught myself to make bracelets of different sorts, whether hemp or beaded, and i jus learned a couple weeks ago how to crochet also so i could make stuff to sell/trade for w.coast tour. Gonna be makin some other stuff to sell too. Sooo iono. I would think that'd be the easiest way to fund your tour, although ive never been on a full tour b4. Most materials for crafts can be pretty cheap(if u dont go to the bigbuck ripoff stores). Ive been buying yarn at thrift stores like salvation army n stuff for a buck a bundle, n also findin some cheaper places to get hemp, so if ya look n learn you could probably learn to make stuff to turn a profit to make your tour happen. This bein said, im not a tour vet, jus someone tryin to give a smidge o advice. =-) Hope it all comes t'gether for you dude.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daisy Mae
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#39318 3 years, 2 months ago
you are becoming wise grasshopper
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadHead420
MarkPainter
Fresh Boarder
Master of Revels

#40471 3 years, 2 months ago
Tour if you feel you must but wouldn't plan on seeing too many free shows.
Even folks who have some hustle and know how to make money working the lots don't get to see every show.
Mark Painter was here....
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#40498 3 years, 2 months ago
illuminaughty wrote:
i was once at a phish show and this grown ass man was BAWLING his eyes out crying in the lot, so i stop and ask whats up and his old llady tells me hes been to every show that summer, and handt got into one, and this was phish mind you, i had to laugh. its like dude if thats the bigggest problem in your life...
anyway, if you do decide to "tour on miracles" or whateever, please dont come to the west coast. you are obiviiously behind the curve, and could cause ireputable damage to yourself ifn you with a hand full of gimme and a mouth fulll of much obliged...
if you aint got that do-ra-me, stay the fuk home.

OMG, I recognize that quote! I love that band!
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#40499 3 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering what was up with people standing with their finger in the air when there are tickets available at the box office. Unless they truly don't have the cash to buy a ticket, they're just being silly.

This is how it went: you go to see a Dead show, and you end up in a parking lot. You see your friends there. The first thing you ask is "Are you in yet?" Answer: either "Yeah, there's tickets still at the box office" "Sweet" or "Not yet, but I'm working on it" "Good luck, see you inside". Believe it or not, everyone's focus was on actually going into the show.

Vending was originally developed as a way of earning the money to buy a ticket, since the reason we all were there was to go in to the show. It was actually an embarassment to be without a ticket, an occurence to be avoided if at all possible. If you had cash on hand, and could, you bought a ticket. If you were tapped out for cash, you earned some money, and again, if you could, you bought a ticket. If necessary you could ask your friends to chip in to help buy you a ticket. It happened quite frequently that a friend would come up and give you a ticket. This was not considered a miracle, but a friend helping out a friend. I don't think it's stretch to say that when there were tickets at the box office, or very readily available, we tried to make sure nobody was left out in the lot (unless there was somebody whom nobody cared about, and you'd have to be a known as a real douche to have sunk to that level where no one is willing to help you out even just little)

If the show was extremely sold out, and tickets were very tight, and someone offered to sell you a ticket for face value, or even a little more, that too was considered a miracle. 'Cause the miracle was that you got in, not that someone gave you a free ticket. If someone, of their love, gives you a free ticket, or brings you in, that's a miracle too. But it's not something to expect every time. God helps those who help themselves.

We would vend tie-dyes and beadwork before shows, and we'd make and vend sandwiches after the show. The latter had the benefit of both feeding ourselves and providing a service to those who were hungry but without food. We made good sandwiches, and people started looking for us after shows particularly. It was special to be thanked and appreciated for what we were only doing for ourselves anyway. Vending is fun because it gives you the chance to meet people and you have something to talk about.

When we were shut out it was a sad event, but at least we felt we had each other as a consolation prize for not getting in. That's where the lot spirit comes from, being there for each other. Part of that is pulling your own weight, and maybe even getting ahead so you can help others.

I have been deeply appreciative of the miracles I have received in emergency cases (I think saving the need for a miracle for an emergency means you are more likely to get it when you really need it). Buying a ticket, preferably ahead of time ensures maximum fun for all involved, and you can relax more and enjoy the scene. And then go in for a great show!
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by Daisy Mae.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds